Wednesday 30 November 2011

More than a muffler


Lane Crawford is giving out knitting
kits that includes a ball of wool and
chopstick -like knitting needles

Knitting has no purpose – or at least it didn’t have any purpose that I thought was worth pursuing. This was until last Sunday when I discovered that Lane Crawford – a fashion retail store – is collaborating with a charity, called Crossroads, to provide blankets to people who need them to stay warm in the winter. In order to do this they’re asking the community to help knit 8x8 inch squares by the 25th of Dec, which will then be sewn together to make the 3,000 odd blankets that are needed.
Isn’t that just fabulous? My skill to knit straight lines is actually coming in handy! And for once the end goal isn’t something pointless like a muffler or a straight-lined tank top that I would never use.
This project has got me excited enough to use all my spare time to knit, but I haven’t gone past my first square as yet (and that has nothing to do with the amount of spare time I have). Given my modest knitting capabilities, I’m aiming to knit about 20 squares which should be enough for half a blanket. I’m thinking better half than nothing, right?

2 comments:

  1. Nice. That is a fantastic idea. I have knit socks and scarves. The end product gave me no motivation to knit more. This is really good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah exactly - I never felt motivated enough to knit. Most of my past attempts at knitting did not go beyond 5 lines coz I would get too bored.

    ReplyDelete