Sunday 20 November 2011

The Mongolian diaries

A few weeks ago I visited Ulaanbaatar or UB (the capital of Mongolia) for a few days. It was primarily for work, and the lack of frequent flights to UB made it almost impossible to extend my stay, but I managed to squeeze in some sight-seeing time.

I loved every minute of it. I did a lot of walking, ate some crazy-assed food (which you can read about here), saw yurts squeezed in-between concrete buildings, froze my ears off, climbed a hill, saw the local temples and palaces, met some really nice people......and then left thinking that I would never come back to UB. Not because I don't want to (in case you have a short memory span I started off by saying that I loved it), but because it's just one of those places that's hard to get to, and also I don't think there is much else to experience in UB except the traffic and the development of a new city. So if I do go back it will be for the country-side which I hear is worth experiencing.
A yurt in the middle of the bustling new city of UB

View of UB from Zaisan hill

2 comments:

  1. Nice. But I am sure UB was more than 50 words and two pictures worth. Give more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worth a lot more words and pics....and that's why my next post has already been drafted, and is scheduled to be published by mid-week. :D

    ReplyDelete